As per the data compiled by Projects Today, in the first three months of FY22, a total of 1,084 project contracts with a total order value of Rs 72,201.7 crore were awarded across various sectors. These project orders (domestic and overseas) were bagged by 545 companies belonging to different sectors.
The Infrastructure (comprising Social and Transport infrastructure sectors) accounted for 61.55 percent of the total contracts awarded during Q1/FY22. The sector saw finalisation of 766 contracts with an aggregate order value of Rs 44,439.72 crore.
Within this sector, the Roadways sector accounted for 28.58 percent of the total project contracts awarded during the three months of FY22. A total of 353 contracts with an aggregate value of Rs 20,634.74 crore were awarded in this sector.
The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) awarded 18 contracts. As many as six contracts totalling Rs 6,203.76 crore were awarded under the Delhi-Amritsar-Katra Expressway project. The mega value contracts were bagged by EVRASCON, MKC Infrastructure and Ceigall India.
Apart from this, three contracts with a total value of Rs 3,758.74 crore were awarded to Ramalingam Construction Company and Montecarlo for construction of Bangalore-Chennai Expressway project.
During the period, a total of 45 contracts worth Rs 12,868.16 crore were awarded in the Railways sector. Chennai Metro Rail awarded four major contracts worth Rs 6,566.3 crore. These include:
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) bagged a contract for construction of approximate 12 km twin bored tunnels from Kellys Metro Station to Taramani Road Junction Metro Station and construction of diaphragm walls of station box and entry/exit structures of Chetpet, Royapettah Government Hospital, Thiruvanmiyur worth Rs 2,385 crore.
- Tata Projects secured a contract for construction of approximate nine km twin bored tunnels from TBM retrieval shaft near Venugopal Nagar to Kellys Metro Station and construction of diaphragm walls of station box and entry/exit structures of Madhavaram Milk Colony, Murari Hospital, Ayanavaram and Purasaiwakkam high road stations worth Rs 1,999 crore.
- Hindustan Construction Company (HCC) in JV with KEC International bagged a contract for construction of elevated Metro stations at Chennai bypass crossing, Ramachandra hospital, Iyyapanthangal bus depot, Katupakkam, Kumanan Chavadi, Karayan Chavadi, Mullai Thottam, Poonamallee Bus Terminus, Poonamallee Bypass & associated viaduct from ch 17982.240 to ch 25928.186 and approach to the depot at Poonamallee& all associated works worth Rs 1,147 crore.
- L&T secured a contract for construction of elevated Metro stations at Power House, Vadapalani, Saligramam, Avichi School, Alwartiru Nagar, Valasaravakkam, Karambakkam, Alapakkam Junction, Porur Junction and associated viaduct from ch 10027.102 to ch 17982.240 and all associated works worth Rs 1,035.3 crore.
Another major order in the Railways sector was secured by Tata Consulting Engineers in JV with Consulting Engineers Group-Aarvee Associates Architects Engineers & Consultants and PADECO Co, for project management consultancy services for construction of civil works to be taken up in packages for Mumbai-Ahmedabad High-Speed Rail (MAHSR Project) worth Rs 1,014.94 crore.
During the period, the Airports Authority of India (AAI) awarded contracts to set up eight new flying training academies under the liberalised Flying Training Organisation (FTO) Policy. These academies will be set up at Belagavi, Jalgaon, Kalaburagi, Khajuraho and Lilabari. The award letters were issued on 31 May 2021 to winning bidders — Asia-Pacific, Chimes Aviation, Jetserve, Redbird, Samvardhane and Skynex.
In the Real Estate sector, 15 contracts for executing works with a cumulative investment of Rs 2,646.04 crore were awarded during Q1/FY22. NCC bagged a major contract worth Rs 859.84 crore from NBCC for Integrated Development of East Delhi Hub, construction of residential towers RT-01, RH-02, EWS-01 and civic amenities CV-01, CV-02 & CV-13 at Karkardooma, New Delhi, on TOD Norms on engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) basis.
A total of 118 project contracts were awarded in the Other Community Services sector with an aggregate value of Rs 2,087.08 crore during Q1/FY22. NBCC (India) bagged a major contract worth Rs 596.75 crore from the National Institute of Technology, Uttarakhand, for PMC services for construction and development of infrastructural facilities in the main campus of NIT Uttarakhand at Sumari in Pauri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand.
The Water & Sewerage Pipeline & Distribution sector saw finalisation of 108 new contracts worth Rs 1,528.29 crore. Ion Exchange (India) bagged a major contract from the Uttar Pradesh State Water & Sanitation Mission for rural drinking water supply projects in Varanasi and Aligarh on EPC basis under Jal Jeevan Mission.
The Manufacturing sector accounted for 12 percent of the total contracts awarded during Q1/FY22. The sector saw finalisation of 80 contracts with an aggregate order value of Rs 8,855.89 crore.
In the Petrochemicals sector, five contracts with an aggregate value of Rs 7,801.48 crore were awarded. Of these, the Indian Oil Corporation (IOCL) gave out two contracts to Technip India (Package- EPCC-01) and Tecnimont S.p.A in consortium with Tecnimont (Package- EPCC-02) worth Rs 6,760.65 crore for works of Paradip Refinery.
Apart from this, IOCL also awarded a major contract to Technip India for Package (EPCC-06) for Barauni Refinery capacity expansion project in Bihar worth Rs 988.83 crore.
In the Irrigation sector, 107 new contracts worth Rs 6,790.49 crore were awarded. The Irrigation & CAD Department, Andhra Pradesh, awarded three major contracts worth Rs 5,646.89 crore. These include:
- VPR Mining Infrastructure bagged a contract for detailed investigation, formation of gravity canal & main canal and construction of Papayyapalem lift with all allied component works of Babu Jagjeevan Ram Uttarandhra Sujala Sravanthi worth Rs 2,558.2 crore.
- Gaja Engineering secured a contract for detailed investigation, formation of main canal, branch canals and distributary network including CM & CD works of Babu Jagjeevan Ram Uttarandhra Sujala Sravanthi worth Rs 1,763.72 crore.
- VPR Mining Infrastructure bagged a contract for widening of Somasila Kandaleru Flood Flow (SKFF) Canal to increase the discharge from 12,000 cusecs to 24,000 cusecs in Kaluvoya and Chejarla Mandals of SPSR Nellore district and improvements to North Feeder Channel (G.K.N. Canal) for supplying of water to Rallapadu Reservoir for augmentation of irrigation facilities worth Rs 1,324.97 crore.
The Electricity sector, including Power Distribution, accounted for 8.95 percent of the total orders awarded during the first quarter of FY22. A total of 106 contracts with an order value of Rs 6,461.92 crore were secured by power companies for executing various works.
Additionally, the Power Distribution sector saw awarding of 59 contracts worth Rs 3,974.06 crore in the first three months of FY22. In this sector the Power Grid Corporation of India (PGCIL) awarded 18 new contracts. One of the major contracts was secured by Salasar Techno Engineering for construction of 201 km transmission line network and construction of four new power substations in the north-eastern state of Arunachal Pradesh.
In the Solar Power sector, 10 contracts with an aggregate value of Rs 1,336.44 crore were awarded. Tata Power Solar Systems bagged a major contract to build 210 MWp of Solar PV projects in Gujarat for NTPC.
Another major contract awarded in this sector was secured by Adani Renewable Energy Holding Fifteen from Torrent Power to set up 150 MWac grid-connected solar power project in Gujarat.
Projects-related orders in the Mining sector accounted for eight percent of the total share. As many as 25 mining contracts worth Rs 5,653.68 crore were awarded in Q1/FY22.
In the Coal sector, 22 new contracts for executing works worth Rs 5,519.86 crore were awarded. KLP in JV with MILLP bagged a noteworthy contract worth Rs 1,246.02 crore from Western Coalfields for Yekona I & II Open Cast Mine (OCM) of Majri area in the state of Maharashtra.
Gainwell Commosales secured a contract worth Rs 758.11 crore from South Eastern Coalfields for Gayatri underground mine of Bishrampur Area in Surajpur district of Chhattisgarh on hiring basis.
Orders by States
During Q1/FY22, a total of 1,076 domestic project contracts with an order value totalling Rs 70,551.61 crore were awarded across different states. Tamil Nadu topped the chart with 21 contracts worth Rs 10,308.23 crore in Q1/FY22.
Odisha secured the second position with 103 work orders worth Rs 10,238.67 crore and Andhra Pradesh settled for the third spot by awarding 16 contracts worth Rs 7,182.08 crore.
During Q1/FY22, Indian companies bagged eight overseas contracts across Solar-based power, Real Estate, Power Distribution, Petroleum Products [Refinery] from countries like Maldives, Bhutan, Saudi Arabia, etc.
Some of the major overseas contracts were:
- L&T bagged a turnkey EPC contract from the consortium of ACWA Power and the Water and Electricity Holding Company (a subsidiary of the Public Investments Fund of Saudi Arabia (PIF)) for Sudair Solar PV Project of 1.5GW capacity.
- Ashoka Buildcon bagged a contract from the Fahi Dhiriulhun Corporation for design and construction of 2,000 social housing units in Hulhumale, Republic of Maldives, on EPC basis.
- L&T bagged a turnkey EPC contract for constructing 300 MW Jeddah Solar PV Power Plant in Saudi Arabia.